Owning an iPad confers certain digital era characteristics:
- Cool - I am at the cutting edge of technology.
- Together - My work and life are integrated in one device.
- Superior - I am a consumer of content rather than a creator of content (that’s for worker bees).
- Affluent - I can afford an iPad rather than any old mp3 player.
- Important - My life is so full on that I have to cram my audio visual entertainment into my commute.
- L’Oreal – Because I am worth it.
Many of these characteristics can be attributed to company cars. But they are less attractive now as a result of tax implications, green concerns and the changing nature of urban living.
So the iPad is a timely device to replace the old corporate status symbol. What’s more it’s cheaper and the risk implications of crashing are significantly reduced.